Sizing, Fitting, and Breaking in Your New Grips
***Video Coming Soon***
What Size is Right for You?:
- For men’s and women’s dowel grips, measure from the base of the palm to the tip of the longest finger. Use that measurement in inches in accordance with our sizing chart to help determine correct size.
- For the beginner palm grip, measure from the base of the palm to the base of the middle finger. Use that measurement in inches in accordance with our sizing chart to help determine correct size.
- After putting on the grip, when the hand is fully extended, the grip should cover all but the tips of the 3 middle fingers. The girls' uneven bar grip and the men's ring grip should be worn only to the first knuckle. The men's high bar grip is worn between the first and second knuckle.
How to Fit the Finger Holes:
- In many cases, the finger holes of the grip will not fit perfectly right away -this is absolutely normal.
- Use an object, like a sharpie or sand paper wrapped around a pencil, to carefully stretch the holes. Concentrate on the lower part of the hole, not the top.
- NEVER PULL, STRETCH OR CUT THE HOLES, AS THIS WILL CAUSE THE FINGER HOLE TO TEAR OUT.
How to Break In a New Grip:
- It is helpful to first soften the leather by rolling it back and forth with your hands.
- Concentrate on longer turns rather than quality turns (Compulsory gymnast should do many turns on kips and tap swings. Higher level gymnasts should do kip casts to handstand and giant swings).
- Get a good workout with your old pair of grips and after the workout, allow 10-15 minutes of breaking in time for your new grips.
- Allow up to 2-3 days for your new grips to be 100% broken in.